Thursday, February 10, 2011

Gentleman Prefer Blondes

Apparently I have been following a "hair color" theme when choosing movies to watch recently. (I didn't even notice this theme, Jeff pointed out to me.) This has been entirely inadvertent. (Or maybe it's a sub-conscious thing since I've been considering a hair-color change recently.)







Jane Russell and Marilyn Monroe are fantastic in this movie. . . there's even a bit of early feminist thinking woven into their characters. Jane Russell's Dorothy Shaw is absolutely hilarious. I personally think she sort of steals many of the scenes from Marilyn. 


And, of course, the fashion is inspiring. I can't help but feel like fashion used to be more adventurous, at least "mainstream" fashion, that is the clothes that were considered acceptable attire for a woman (or man.) Now, I'm certainly not sitting here advocating for a return to the 50s or early 60s. I watch movies like this one and find myself thinking "gosh, those women must spend half their life-time simply maintaining their looks." I certainly don't want to go back to that. Or uncomfortable undergarments!

I watched this last night with my two cats, some yummy cookies from La Farine, and a warm cup of tea, after a VERY full day of thrifting fun in El Sobrante with two good friends. Hopefully I'll have some pics to share of my thrifted goods soon. 

Have a lovely day, it's time for lunch for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment