Thursday, April 5, 2012

Setting Aside

I broke my chasing hammer yesterday. Hrmph. My third one in the last two years or so. And all because I haven't been able to afford to buy a well-made one. All I can afford are the cheap-o fifteen dollar ones that you can find at the local bead and jewelry supply store.

Needless to say, I am determined to set some money aside for a quality one!

I'm working at CH Good Stock today. I'm here every Thursday from 11am to 6pm. I love visitors =). While I wait for some visitors. . . I finished my taxes! I owe this year (ugh) but I'm postponing the payment 'til the 17th just to postpone the pain. The first four months of this year (my first year of solely working for myself) have been seriously tight on the money front. Which I'm sure many of you already know, I think I complain about it a bit too much. Well, 'tis my reality these days. Hopefully I will learn something from all of it and plan ahead this year for this time next year.


dark brown (up-cycled) mottled leather, hand-forged brass pieces, triangles of smokey quartz

My lesson for the first quarter of the year: set more money aside for the unexpected! Or, maybe just for everything.


I've mentioned that there are lots of new designs in the works for Tangleweeds. Yesterday I wrapped up some new leather feather earrings. These lovelies aren't in my Etsy shop, but they are going to be available at First Friday and Saturday.

sandy brown (up-cycled) leather, hand-forged and oxidized copper bars and diamonds, quartz crystals

orange leather (up-cycled), hand-forged brass bars, tigerseye beads (this pair is actually at CH Good Stock)

I made a few more pairs but my camera battery died before I could snap some more photos. I do want to share more of my work with you guys, both the in-progress photos and the finished work. The thing about selling at craft fairs is I don't always take the time to photograph pieces before they sell. I'm trying to establish a new routine for myself. Freshly photographed pieces every week!

And, speaking of this weekend, if the First Friday crowds are too much for you, think about stopping by here:

For those of you who "like" Tangleweeds on Facebook, you may know that I was looking for someone to work my table for me this coming Saturday. Well, that conflict has been resolved and I am now planning on being at the collective both days. It really is a fun place. If I wasn't selling there I'd probably go as a customer every month if I could!

Lastly, did you catch this story about the newly hatched peregrine falcons in San Francisco? It warmed my heart so much. I am amazed and touched that there are people who will sit and essentially have a vigil for these birds in the hours leading up to the eggs hatching. Amazing. That kind of just sums up how I want to live my life. Which may or may not make a whole lot of sense to all of you. But I think it does. It's about setting aside the time to honor and take care of what is worth taking care of. 

On that note, I hope everyone has a lovely day!

No comments:

Post a Comment